We spend the week reading the best things we can get our eyeballs on and on Fridays we share them here with you as The Week in Social.
Read anything good that we missed? Share it with us on Twitter or give us your thoughts at @UnionMetrics.
On brand strategy and crisis comms
Consumers increasingly want brands to take a stand on current issues, but there’s a difference between taking a firm stand on something that aligns with your brand values and culture because it’s directly related to your industry, and being controversial just to be controversial. It’s also impossible to avoid all controversy on social media.
So what’s a brand to do? Here are the new rules on Handling Social Media Controversy in the Shark Tank from Daniel Matthews for Spin Sucks.
On content marketing
For marketers curious about podcasting, see eMarketer’s Podcasts: Who’s Listening, and What It Means for Marketers?
The big takeaway:
“Podcasts give marketers access to a loyal and engaged audience. Though still a niche ad medium when compared with other audio formats, podcast ad spending is rising rapidly.”
On influencer marketing
Before you dive into influencer marketing, you might want to check out these 4 Tips for an Impactful Influencer Marketing Strategy from Nathan Mendenhall for Social Media Today.
And if you want the latest numbers on influencer marketing, Kayla Matthews has rounded up The 5 Best Influencer Marketing Studies of 2018 So Far for Convince & Convert.
The latest platform updates
Every week we keep an eye on the latest platform updates and share the most relevant ones here.
This week it’s:
- Twitter Is Pushing More News Links In The Home Timeline [Alex Kantrowitz for BuzzFeed]
- Facebook’s Up and Downvote Tools for Comments are Now Available to More Users [Andrew Hutchinson for Social Media Today]
- Mark Zuckerberg announces new ‘Clear History’ option & more at Facebook’s F8 Conference [Amy Gesenhues for Marketing Land] and read their follow-up here
- Instagram Tests a Bunch of New Features, Including Slow Motion Mode and the Ability to Mute Profiles [Andrew Hutchinson for SMT]
- Instagram Previews New Explore Layout, Which Will Impact Content Discovery [Andrew Hutchinson for SMT]
- Instagram Rolls Out Native Payments [PYMNTS.com]
Thank you for reading and have a great weekend!
Image source: The Found Animals Foundation.