We spend the week reading the best things we can get our eyeballs on and on Fridays we share them here with you as The Week in Social.
Read anything good that we missed? Share it with us on Twitter or give us your thoughts at @UnionMetrics.
On storytelling and content marketing
If you’re feeling out of ideas, then you might want to take a look at these 4 Incredible Examples of Social Media Storytelling put together by Laura Petrolino for Spin Sucks. The big takeaway from all of the examples?
“Each time you see something that resonates with you, step back and ask yourself:
- Why is this effective?
- What parts of this work best and why?
- How does this make me feel?
- Does it make me want to act? How?
- How can I take this concept and apply it to something I’m working on?”
If you only make one plan for 2018 have it be this one: The Best Strategy to Adopt in 2018 is a More Flexible One from Mack Collier.
And while most brands aren’t quite ready to take on PR, it’s worth taking a look at How publishers are using augmented reality to bring stories to life from Nikki Gilliland for Econsultancy’s blog as an idea for how brands can begin to think about applications not only for their products but for content marketing in general.
If you need a little expert advice, check out Content Conversations: How to Hit the Ground Running with Content Marketing in 2018 from Ashley Zeckman for the Top Rank Marketing Blog.
On influencer marketing
Two great pieces from Marketing Dive this week on influencers. First, How to get started in influencer marketing from Kayla Matthews. Yes, you’re a little late to the party, but not too late altogether. This piece also pairs well with ours from earlier this week: Identifying the right influencer for your brand.
Second, a fantastic feature from Shane Schick on Why influencer marketing has become a moving target.
All the latest platform updates
Finally, each week we do our best to round up the latest platform updates we think are relevant to our audience. This week:
- Facebook Is Working on a Way to Automatically Animate Your Profile Image – and it’s a Little Weird [Andrew Hutchinson for Social Media Today]
- Snapchat starts algorithm-personalized redesign splitting social and media [Josh Constine for Tech Crunch]
- Report: Facebook Messenger tests mass messaging tool for brands [Natalie Koltun for Mobile Marketer]
- Instagram Rolls Out New Direct Message Tools, Including Remix and Replay Controls [Andrew Hutchinson for SMT]
Thank you for reading and have a great weekend!
Image source: The Found Animals Foundation.