With Memorial Day approaching this weekend, summer travel is on the minds of many, and the resources to plan and execute the best trips for business or for pleasure lie within the social sites you know and love. Last year we looked at the Top travel resources on Twitter: Accounts to follow and chats to attend as well as the 10 best travel resources on social media and beyond. So what does the travel landscape look like on social in 2014?
All of the travel advice and perspective accounts from our Twitter travel resources post are still active and providing information on everything from amateur and budget travel to high-end luxury accommodations; skim the list to find and follow the users that fit your needs.
As for the travel chats, read over the transcripts to get an idea of which ones would be worth joining in on before you plan your next trip:
- #MexMonday (all day Mondays): Check this one out if you’re planning a trip to Mexico
- #TravelTuesday (all day Tuesdays): Chat about all things travel-related
- #CruiseChat (2pm EST Tuesdays): Whether you’re a veteran cruiser or new to boat-bound travel, find out all you need to know in this chat
- #NUTS (Not-so-usual-therapy-session, aka travel and specifically roadtrips) seems to be used more as a generic hashtag than a travel related chat, but you can still check out the session recaps on their site.
- #TTOT (5:30 am/pm EST Tuesdays): standing for Travel Talk on Tuesdays, you can check out the topic ahead of time on their Facebook page.
- #LuxChat (2:30pm PST every 3rd Wednesday): While #LuxChat doesn’t always cover travel, keep an eye on the month’s chosen topic if treating yourself while you travel is your goal. You can find recaps of their chats on their Tumblr.
- #TourismChat (2:00pm CST bi-weekly on Thursdays): Check the @tourismchat account for topics and transcripts.
- #FriFotos (all day Fridays): You can find out each week’s theme from @EpsteinTravels
Other chats to check out:
- #TWChats (Travel Weekly Chats; monthly, see @ChatsTW)
- #TravelTuesday and #TT
- #TNI (Traveler’s Night In; Thursdays)
- Keep an eye out for specifically themed travel chats from Travel + Leisure (#TL_Chat)
- And check out this list from @AmateurTraveler for even more chats!
Other social media travel resources
All of our holiday travel tips from last year still hold true, and if you’re looking at how to get the most out of travel blogging on Tumblr we’ve covered that too. (You can see all of our travel-related Tumblr posts here.)
We still recommend Pinterest for planning what you’re going to pack, what sites you want to see at your destination, and more. Instagram is an amazing way to catalog your travels that lets everyone at home follow along with you and avoids overwhelming them with an album of 200 new photos to parse when you get home.
But what about using Instagram for inspiring and planning your next trip? Stay tuned. We’ll have that for you soon!
If you’ve got any social media travel resources we missed, leave them in the comments, or let us know on Twitter.
Photo courtesy NYPL Digital Gallery.